Chicken Enchilada Soup
- 1 Min
- November 29, 2019
I stood in my kitchen today, unprepared for Thanksgiving.
Instead of our tradition of going to the desert to be with the rest of our kin, we stayed home due to illness.
I hadn’t been to the grocery store, and I had to come up with something. It’s been rainy, cold and dark today, so I was excited that I had all the ingredients I needed, to make one of our favorite soups.
I’m thankful to have food this Thanksgiving, even if it wasn’t a turkey dinner.
- Preparation Time: 30 min.
- Cook Time: 30 min.
- Cuisine: Mexican, American
- 2 tbsp. vegetable oil
- 2 tbsp. all purpose flour
- 2 tbsp. chili powder
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 tsp. oregano
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. cumin
- 1/2 cup masa harina
- 2 chicken breasts, cooked and diced
- 2 cups black beans, drained
- 1 can green chilies, diced
- 2 cups sweet corn
- 1 can tomatoes, diced (do not drain)
- 1 cup white onion, chopped
- 1 cup cheddar cheese
- 1 1/4 cup red enchilada sauce
- 1 cup Velveeta cheese
- 3 cups chicken stock or broth
1Heat vegetable oil over medium heat and whisk in flour. Whisk for 2 minutes.
2Add chicken broth slowly and whisk until smooth.
3Add rest of ingredients and simmer for 30 minutes, stirring frequently.
4Top with tortilla strips, sour cream, and cilantro.
5Freeze any leftovers in individual freezer bags for a quick meal!